Located in the centre of Bolton,The New Empire Theatre was opened on 24th August 1908. It was a handsome building which dominated Deansgate, opposite the Post Office. It was owned by Thomas Hay. Within a month of opening, it was playing films as part of the programme, and was soon re-named Hippodrome Theatre.Cinema use continued until the early-1940’s, when it became Bolton’s repertory theatre. It was closed in 1961, and was demolished. The site is now a car park.