1910's, Kyoto. Yasaka Pagoda. Located between Yasaka Shrine, famed for its Gion Matsuri, and Kiyomizudera, known for its enormous wooden stage, stands the 46 meter high Yasaka Pagoda, built around a single wooden shaft. The pagoda’s official name is Hokanji (法観寺). This buddhist temple was founded by Shotoku Taishi (573–621) and occupied once a large area in Kyoto’s Higashiyama district.