The 264' Ferris Wheel was originally built for the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, and was transported to St. Louis for the 1904 World's Fair. Each of its 36 wooden cars held 60 people for a total capacity of 2160 riders. Rides cost 50 cents. Grand dinners and even weddings took place in the spacious cars. It was destroyed for scrap after the Fair in May 1906, when attempts to sell or relocate the gigantic wheel failed.