Aida Refugee Camp. Bethlehem, Palestine. Aida, also spelled 'Ayda, is a Palestinian refugee camp situated 2 kilometers north of Bethlehem and 1 kilometer north of Beit Jala in the central West Bank. Adjacent to Rachel's Tomb, it is walled off from Jerusalem by the Israeli West Bank barrier and contiguous to the Israeli neighbourhood of Gilo. Named after a famous coffeehouse (maqhah) located on the site in the early 1940s, Aida camp was established in 1950 and covered an area of 66 dunams.
A walk in the rain. The first recorded mention on the town dates to 283 BC, when the town, then known as Faesulae, was conquered by the Romans. In pagan antiquity it was the seat of a famous school of augurs, and every year twelve young men were sent thither from Rome to study the art of divination. Sulla colonized it with veterans, who afterwards, under the leadership of Gaius Mallius, supported the cause of Catilina.
The city is divided into two sectors: H1, controlled by the Palestinian Authority and H2, roughly 20% of the city, administered by Israel. The settlers are governed by their own municipal body, the Committee of the Jewish Community of Hebron. The city is most notable for containing the traditional burial site of the biblical Patriarchs and Matriarchs, within the Cave of the Patriarchs. It is therefore considered the second-holiest city in Judaism after Jerusalem.